O'Brien County Cemetery
Center (Immanuel) Cemetery
6350 - 370th Street
Center Township, Iowa
The Lutherans of Center Township were organized into a small congregation in 1881. In 1885 a church with a 65 ' tower was built on two acres owned by Michael Steuck. Two years later six acres of the land across the road was purchased. Five acres were set aside for pasture and one acre for the cemetery.
Reverend Jon Deguisne was pastor from 1909-1919. His wife, Johanna died in 1917. After WWI erupted Reverend Deguisne was warned several times that he would be "tarred and feathered" if he continued to speak in the German language. His son began his ministry in the congregation preaching in English until he left the area in 1920.
The oldest burial date with the surname of Steuck was 1871 and the most recent grave stone is George Pfitzenmaier in 1888.